Did you know that San Francisco has 28 off-leash parks and a national recreation area where dogs can roam free? Not to mention a restaurant and bar culture that embraces pet friendly dining. That's why San Francisco is such an amazing destination for outdoor adventure and family experiences with man's best friend.
Grab your leash and your spirit of adventure and discover SF's pet friendly side. Our concierge, Theresa, has some insider tips on the most dog friendly parks and places in San Francisco.
Golden Gate National Recreational Area
Dogs can frolic off leash in three designated dog play areas in Golden Gate Park. GGNRA offers other spots, including Baker Beach north of Lobos Creek, Fort Miley, Lands End, Fort Funston, Ocean Beach and Crissy Field. Nothing beats a jog with the pup along San Francisco Bay with views of the Golden Gate Bridge.
Dog Friendly Parks in San Francisco
San Francisco offers more than 28 dog friendly parks and dog play areas, including Golden Gate Park. Pick a neighborhood and roam.
- Moscone Dog Play Areas
- Golden Gate Park Dog Play Area
- Potrero Hill Recreation Center Dog Play Areas
- Mission Dolores Park Dog Play Areas (North & South)
- Eureka Valley Recreation Center
- Alamo Square Dog Play Area
- Bernal Heights Dog Play Area
- Balboa Park Dog Play Area
- SOMA West Dog Play Area
Dog Friendly Places to Eat and Drink in SF
In a city with more dogs than humans under the age of 18, San Francisco boasts a very dog friendly restaurant and bar scene. You'll find many eateries with outdoor dining (many patios are heated) throughout the city's neighborhoods where dogs can chill with their people. Here are a few of our favorite spots, but call ahead to get the details:
- ANZU Restaurant at Hotel Nikko – Outdoor patio – 222 Mission Street
- Hops & Hominy (Union Square) - Grant Avenue between Sutter & Post
- Boulevard (Financial District) – 1 Mission Street
- Dolores Park Cafe (Mission) – 501 Dolores Street
- The Homestead (Mission Bar) – 2301 Folsom Street
- Atlas Cafe (Mission) – 3049 20th Street
- Gott's Roadside (Embarcadero) - One Ferry Building #6
San Francisco's Most Dog Friendly Hotel
With the holidays around the corner, why not plan a family trip and take the pup too. Located two blocks from Union Square and minutes from Golden Gate Park, Hotel Nikko San Francisco is the most dog friendly hotel in the Bay Area. The hotel offers luxury pet-friendly accommodations on a designated floor with dog beds, bowls and mats, so your pooch feels like a VIP. The P stands for pet.
Hotel Nikko is within walking distance of San Francisco's dog friendly parks, patios and neighborhoods including the Mission District and Castro packed with restaurants and bars that welcome dogs. Hotel Nikko also offers a Pet Terrace with an outdoor dog run for fresh air and walks. Book our Pet Pride Package and feel at home in the heart of San Francisco this season.