Home > Green Initiatives
EPA Energy Star Award WinnerA dedicated green hotel, the Hotel Nikko is proud of its concerted initiatives in the areas of water conservation, recycling, and composting. In addition, it's the only hotel in San Francisco to win the coveted EPA Energy Star Award ten times.
- Hotel Nikko San Francisco has worked with the SFPUC on reducing water faucet flow rates from 2.2 gpm to 1.0; and upgraded its previous 3.5 gallon per flush to 1.5 gallon per flush water closet.
- The Nikko partners with Ecolab, utilizing the Aquanomic laundry program which relies on environmentally friendly low-temperature chemistry to maximize laundry efficiency. This program saves over 150, 000 gallons of water per month.
- "Green cards" allow guests to inform the hotel of their daily laundry preferences for linens and towels
- The in-house laundry program utilizes a re-use system whereby the always fresh second and third rinse cycles are saved, filtered and re-used for first cycles.
Recyclables & Compost
- The Nikko is proud to have earned the Silver TripAdvisor Green Leader 2016 Award
- Excess food scraps and kitchen waste are sent offsite to be converted to high-quality compost
- Paper, plastic, tin, cardboard and aluminum are recycled
- Housekeeping donates all linens no longer used by the hotel to homeless shelters and other charities; torn linen is used for cleaning rags
- All hotel guestroom keys are fully biodegradable
- A recycling program is available in all guest rooms, and always active in our meeting spaces.
- Guest room thermostats are equipped with sensors which turn the heating, ventilating and air conditioning off when rooms are vacant
- In 2015, the Nikko installed two 65kW microturbines on the hotel's roof to generate our own electricity via capturing exhaust heat from the building, and through heat exchanger cogeneration, convert the exhaust into thermal energy. Microturbine Cogeneration Power System
- Service areas have motion sensors that turn off lighting when the vicinity is not occupied
- Ninety-two percent of the building's lighting is compact fluorescent or LED, saving electricity and cutting greenhouse gas emissions
- Ventilation fans have Variable Frequency Drives installed
- The Nikko replaced its HVAC units with two 280-ton Daikon Magnitude chillers , operating on sustainable R-134a refridgerant, and the frictionless magnetic-bearing compressors are much more energy efficient. Daikon Nikko Case Study
- Hotel colleagues dedicate more than 1,000 hours annually to assisting the local community including volunteering at Glide Memorial Church, The Salvation Army, Florence Crittenton Services, and Adopt-A-Family.
- We have a relationship with the RenoVos organization, in pursuit of the hotel attaining zero total waste: http://www.renovos.com
- We meet quarterly with the Hotel Non Profit Collaborative and the Tenderloin Neighborhood Development Corporation (TNDC) which works with San Francisco Hotels to recycle old furniture, carpeting, supplies, etc.
- Awarded the Community Service Award by the California Hotel Lodging Association, and Community Spirit Award by the Hotel Council of San Francisco.